Wednesday, September 2, 2009

SmileBox Teacher Toolbox ($40 value - FREE)

I'm exhausted from setting up my classroom all day (it looks like Calcutta in there!) but thought I'd give you an update about this cool bit of technology I just found called SmileBox.  Except I'm tired.  And lazy.  So I'ma let the website tell you instead:

"Smilebox is an easy and creative way to safely send photos, videos and personalized information to your students and parents in a secure way. It’s perfect for newsletters, overviews of teaching units, performance and field trip recaps, classroom activities and more!  As a member of the Smilebox Teacher’s Toolbox program, you will receive a FREE annual subscription to our premium Club Smilebox service (a $39.99 value). This gives you unlimited access to more than 900 Smilebox designs. You can choose from thousands of music options or add your own music, email and blog your creations full screen without ads, print any page, burn your Smileboxes to DVD or save them as jpeg images for a photo frame. More designs are added each week. You will also receive special offers and a newsletter with great ideas on how to use Smilebox in your classroom."

I looked at the site and it seems to be a cool, easy way to communicate with families (or at least the families that have internet access, which is sadly not as many as I'm sure we'd all like) and to make archives of stuff you do in class.  I'm also thinking that if I could find an ethernet cable long enough I'd set up some SmileBox photoalbums to put in the hall on Parent-Teacher Night for the parents to look through while they wait their turn with me.  Let me know if any of you end up using the site!

*Note:  I registered on my home computer, but the program isn't entirely webbased and you have to download content, so I'd suggest registering from your school computer and downloading at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment